50 Years Of Gymnastics In BC
JANUARY 21, 2020
2019 marked a milestone year for Gymnastics BC – our 50th anniversary!
Since 1969, Gymnastics BC has been working to govern, promote, and develop the sport of gymnastics in British Columbia. In 2019, we celebrated our 50th anniversary!
To commemorate all of the wonderful people and organizations that helped shape Gymnastics BC into the organization it is today, we honored this momentous occasion in many different ways throughout 2019.
- July to September 2019 – Test Your Gymnastics IQ Trivia Contests: We ran weekly social media contests to test participants’ knowledge of gymnastics past and present and chose 10 weekly winners!
- September – BC Lions Halftime Performance: Check out video footage of our performance!
- October – History Book Publication: Read our history book filled with stories from alumni, club spotlights and history, and a special letter from the Chair and CEO!
- November – Celebration Gala: Look through photos from the event!
- December – Coaching Grants: We’ve selected 24 coaching grant recipients to foster growth and support the development of gymnastics coaching in BC. Names will be released in the coming weeks.
Celebration Gala Overview
To close off our 50th anniversary celebrations, we held a mass gala (300 attendees) at the trendy Yaletown Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Center (see pictures).
The gala celebration boasted a number of exciting highlights, including:
- Buffet dinner
- Photo booth
- A mass celebratory toast including a glass of champagne
- Keynote speaker: Hardy Fink
- Live entertainment: Vancouver Circus School Walking Troupe
- Silent Auction
- Music: DJ Silas
- Cash bar
BC Lions Halftime Show Overview
On September 28, 2019, over 200 athletes and participants stormed the field of BC Place and performed a 50th anniversary celebration themed halftime show routine. With a special showcase from Delta Gymnastics Society’s 2019 World Gymnaestrada feature group and trampoline gymnastics athletes in the middle of the field, the crowd at BC Place went wild!
Not only was the halftime performance a success, but the BC Lions captured a dramatic comeback with a defensive stance that won them the game 25-23 against the Montreal Alouettes.
If you didn’t attend the game but want to see the performance, you can watch the 8-minute gymnastics display online.
Thank you to everyone who took part in celebrating Gymnastics BC’s 50th anniversary. Cheers to 50 years, and many more to come!